(MI) Head of Human Resources
Detroit (Hybrid onsite/telecommute + 10% travel);
Minneapolis (Hybrid onsite/ telecommute + 25% travel);
Flexible – Other Midwestern U.S. cities (Telecommute + 40% travel)
At First Independence Bank, passion and purpose are at our core. Our mission is to be a beacon for capital accumulation for individuals and business entities by delivering financial services with an affinity for under-served and minority communities. Our passion, purpose, and mission come to life in the products and services we provide as a bank, in our community involvement, and in our commitment to financial literacy. As we expand from Michigan into Minnesota, we are also expanding our team. This opportunity for a Head of Human Resources offers a role that will help drive our future, empower our teams, and ultimately make a positive impact for our customers.
The Head of Human Resources is responsible for developing and executing human resource strategy in support of the overall business plan and strategic direction of the organization, specifically in the areas of succession planning, talent management, change management, organizational, performance management, training and development, and compensation. The Head of Human Resources provides strategic leadership by articulating HR needs and plans to the executive management team, shareholders and the board of directors.
- Establish and implement HR efforts that effectively communicate and support First Independence Bank’s mission and strategic vision.
- Develop HR plans and strategies to support the achievement of the overall business objectives.
- Function as a strategic business advisor to leadership regarding key organizational and management issues.
- Develop comprehensive strategic recruiting and retention plans to meet the human capital needs of strategic goals.
- Develop and implement comprehensive compensation and benefits plans that are competitive and cost-effective.
- Provide overall leadership and guidance to the HR function by overseeing talent acquisition, career development, succession planning, retention, training, leadership development, compensation, and benefits.
- Administer or oversee the administration of human resource programs including, but not limited to, compensation, benefits, and leave; disciplinary matters; disputes and investigations; performance and talent management; productivity, recognition, and morale; occupational health and safety; and training and development.
- Identify staffing and recruiting needs; develop and execute best practices for hiring and talent management.
- Monitor and ensure First Independence Bank’s compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews and modifies policies and practices to maintain compliance.
- Maintains knowledge of trends, best practices, regulatory changes, and new technologies in human resources, talent management, and employment law; applies this knowledge to communicate changes in policy, practice, and resources to leadership.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field required or equivalent work experience.
- A minimum of five years HR experience working in an HR environment at both a strategic and executional level.
- Proven history of leading and/or influencing teams through transformation and change.
- Demonstrated ability to pivot from one functional area of HR to another.
- Experience in building effective relationships and credibility.
- Proven ability to recognize needs, anticipate issues, and solve problems.
- Demonstrated skills in executive presence, professional communications, and time management.
- Experience in providing work direction and coaching to direct reports.
- MBA or master’s degree in Human Resources or related field
- SHRM Senior Certified Professional (SHRM-SCP) or SHRM Certified Professional (SHRM-CP) certification
- Banking/Community Banking experience.